Tips to Winterize Your Home
Winter storms can range from a brief period of extreme cold temperatures, to days of snow, blowing wind and white-out conditions. Preparing in advance helps you tackle winter weather before it even begins. Run through these tips to make sure you stay cozy during this winter season.
- Seal exterior doors with weatherstripping if you feel any cold air leaks. You can use a candle to detect even the smallest of leaks.
- Door sweeps are an excellent way to stop drafts from entering the home from exterior doors.
- Seal leaks in the attic paying close attention to electrical outlets, fixtures and pipes. Also check wiring that comes into the home from outside.
- It is also a good idea to go ahead and add some insulation to the attic that will not only help keep the home warm during the winter but will help keep it cooler in the summer.
- Close the damper on your chimney when the fireplace is not in use.
- Heating ducts can leak a lot of the much needed warm air so be sure to make sure they are sealed properly. Duct cleaning is beneficial as well and is one of the many services provided at SERVPRO of Morgan, Cass, Macoupin and Montgomery Counties.
- Servicing your furnace regularly will help prevent major breakdowns in the future.
- Replace the filters in your furnace monthly to optimize air flow.
- Insulate the pipes in the basement or crawlspace to prevent frozen pipes.
- Window coverings are a great way to conserve heat in the home.
For more information on winterizing your home, visit https://www.moneytalksnews.com/16-low-cost-ways-prepare-your-home-for-winter/
If you would like any information on Duct Cleaning please give us a call at (800) 935-7775.